LONESOME HISTORIC SITE
2006 TN-96 • Burns, TN 37029 • 615-804-5851
Copyright © Lonesome Historic Site. All rights reserved.
The Methodist Church
In 1830, a traveling Methodist preacher came to the Burns area. Lorenzo Dow was an unkempt man who preached a passionate Gospel message coupled with an Abolitionist message. Dow predicted a coming judgement upon the land. Locally, Dow’s message took root. The Burns United Methodist Church traces its beginnings to this time. Sarah Davidson responded with the donation of land. William & Dicy Austin responded with the donation of building materials. The first Methodist Church building, known as “Marvin’s Chapel,” was constructed about a mile to east of here along Beaverdam Creek in a place some call “McGuffie’s Bottom.” Others may still refer to the area as “Davidson’s Green.” Burns United Methodist Church eventually moved to its present location on Church Street. Nearly 200 years later, some descendants of William & Dicy Austin are still deeply involved with the Methodist Church.
Lorenzo Dow